Monday 22 July 2013

Twitchin in the Farnes

I don't think anyone could accuse me of being a twitcher but I did have a good look at a fair few birds when I went ashore on the Inner Farne Island.  I got talking to one of the warden's crew and he told me all about what was going on just a few feet in front of me. This pair of terns were doing a courtship dance to re-cement their relationship.  This commonly lasts for a few years apparently.  I was the weekend and all the trip boats from Seahouses had left and I had the place to myself for half an hour, what a truly amazing time that was.

Gulls don't like people so tend to stay away from the Inner Farne island as they get lots of visitors.  Gulls take eggs and chicks from the terns so the terns have learnt that if they nest on the Inner Farne they get less hassle from the gulls.  This means that the feisty terns (go for your head they do, Hitchcock style, wear a hat) nest as near as possible to the humans.  Right next to the buildings and paths, so many that you have to be very careful not to tread on them as you make your way up the hill from the landing.

I can thoroughly recommend a visit, £6.40 or free to National Trust members.  The staff were exceptional even after a busy day with the public.

 The path from the landing up to St Cuthbert's Chapel, the visitor centre, (barn affair) and the Tudor tower, oh, and the lighthouse.




 The stained glass window in the Chapel.  There were many paper birds hanging from the ceiling if you are wondering what the dark shapes are.



 Coming in for another attack run, they operate a serious no fly zone and any gull that strays into the exclusion zone gets mobbed.


There are 15 or 25 islands depending on the tide, as a sailor I would say 15, surely it's not an island if it submerges.  All that snow is guano and boy does it stink, ammonia I guess.


The puffins guarding their burrows.  They remind me of meerkats.


See what I mean?


Chilling out on charlie rock.


23 species of birds, tens of thousands of them, all turning the black rocks white.


Young critters  patiently awaiting another load of fish .


Ah, here it is, "mind me tonsils young un"


A terns getting fierce guarding the nest and chick by the boardwalk.


St Cuthberts chapel and the visitor centre, all nice and discreet like.


This lot are so used to humans that they just pose for you. This is no long lens, it really is just a couple of feet away.  In fact I had to step back to get it to fit the frame.


Tutak residing in the "kettle" anchorage, almost a lagoon.  A bit of swell makes its way in but any sting in the waves is taken out by the off lying reefs and islands.


One is allowed to visit two of the islands and on a nice day makes a fine trip out if you are up this way.  I loved the Farne islands, so easy to sail by and miss them.  I have not been to Lindisfare yet, so much to see up this neck of the woods.

2 comments:

  1. You really are quite the photographer, some more lovely pictures. Those puffins look cute, as do the babies being fed. Will you be performing the courtship dance for Tracey on your return? There is a email alert for comments, on dashboard go to settings and then mobile/email xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for that Fran, I knew you would know. I don't often look at my own blog. Of course that means I will have to check my emails now.

    ReplyDelete