Thursday 25 July 2013

Farne to Fidra and on to Port Egar.

The alarm woke the boat at 0430, ugh.  Haul up the chain and get underway to make the most of the tide northwards.  The birds had already been up for some considerable time me thinks, some had even chosen to perch on the boat for a comfort break judging by the freshly whitewashed decks.  I was going off my feathered friends rapidly.

We wended out way through the rocks and channels, past Holy Island and off up the coast shrouded in tendrils of mist, not condusive to the lens of the camera, sadly.  Very little wind and what there was I was making so a long old day under motor was ahead.

This building stood out and must be, or have been, a power station.  Sure enough, Torness if I remember. 
 

Nine o'clock had us off St Abbs head turning north-westwards to the Firth of Forthj, past Bass rock.
 

That is not manna from heaven but  birds and their guano, you can almost count them.
 
 
  North Berwick came abeam, it's easy to spot with the bold lump of Berwick Law adjacent to the town.  There are some visitor moorings there and an anchorage but I wasn't bothered to find my way in.




The Firth was upon us and I was looking for somewhere fairly comfortable to anchor for the night, choosing the west side of the island of Fidra.  It served well and after another 50 odd miles another pleasant night was spent under its lee.
 

 Tutak nestled under the island, notice the white from the ever present birds.
 

 The wind was brilliant for sailing in the morning, a brisk blow from behind.  Sadly I was not in the mood for faffing about with damp ropes and sail cloth only to have to take it down an hour or two later.  It was not very far to the bridges and I was going to have to do some pilotage and keep out of the way of the ships in the narrows.

Islands abound in the Firth of Forth, large and small.  May I introduce you to the Cow and Calves.



The Forth rail bridge was showing itself through the mist.


I like visiting the bridges, this one is massive.


Port Edgar marina is tucked just by the road bridge.  Quiet it is not, unless you are used to living next to the M25.  It is, however, very convenient for the Bosun's Locker, a chandler of repute where I found the necessary hypalon adhesive to beef up the dinghy.

No comments:

Post a Comment