Saturday 20 July 2013

Grimsby to the Farne Islands.

 After a slightly sore head after much hospitality  from members of the Humber Cruising Association I awoke to this splendid piece of equipment.  A 35T Wise boat lift with a crane on top, want one.

 

I went for a bit of an explore, I guess you could say that the dock area is a little run down. I don't know what the rest of Grimsby is like I didn't get that far before I was arrested!

There I was taking pictures of some buildings from two centuries ago, magnificent brickwork don't you think?

 

 This disused overpass is somewhat crumbling and there are still trains going underneath it too.

 

 This is the back of the first building with 1898 and the adjacent one being 1884.

 

Then this security van pulls up and wants to know what I'm doing as he has had a call to go and see what this lurking bloke is up to.  I explain that I am taking pictures of brickwork, beautiful brickwork and......

Where have I come from and how did I get on the site.  I came by sea I said, through that gate over there. 

You can't take photos without a permit, I nearly laughed but I could see it wouldn't have helped the situation.  I took my cap off and started wringing it in an attempt to look penitent and promised to take no further pictures and to go back from whence I came.

Here it the Hydraulic tower from the river side.




I took a picture of the Bull Sand Fort two years ago so here is one of the Haile Sand Fort.



I didn't want to get too close to this one as it dries out and I was unsure of what might be around it.  The day was murky anyway.

This is a deep drafted tanker using the opposite traffic lane to proceed out.  This caused a bit of a cuffuffle, as, even though the VTS told everyone, not everyone seemed to know what he was doing.  "'ere, Sergie, whot is sship doin'Trouble is the one in front was using the correct lane so it was a bit of a game of chicken.  I was due to cross near here but I waited until the mellee had died down a bit.



Flamborough Head again, with the light house in the gloom, the rest of England was bathed in sunshine apparently.



Good old Filey bay again and the sun had had the decency to make an appearance too. 60 miles and I was ready for some cooking........

Passed this beauty on the way up to Runswick bay which was going to be the next stopover as the weather seems settled.



A stunningly beautiful bay this, a deep indentation that gives protection from offshore winds and a bit of onshore as long as it's not coming straight at you.  Very nice in conditions like this and the twee village is delightful.  Short day today only 30 miles.



Here we have the Boulby potash mine.  A useful pointer to Staithes, I nearly went in but it's only a few miles from Runswick, maybe next years stopover?



And here we have Herd Sands off Southsheilds in the entrance to the Tyne.  There are two anchorages just inside the breakwaters depending on the direction of the swell.  South side for me this year.




The mighty breakwaters of the Tyne looking seaward.



And when I say mighty, this is a close up.



An average days sail of 40 miles this time.  Onto the Amble for a marina stopover next, but with the weather so magnificent I may have to try something else.  The wind has been very good to us after the headwinds to start.  Broad reaches with the chute and mizzen staysail up, only 8 or so knots of wind speed but sailing nevertheless. 

A few hours and 22 miles brings us to Coquet island.

 

 and I reckoned on an anchorage close off the dunes of the mainland with the island guarding the seaward side.



A pretty sunset and sunrise to follow before entering the river and marina for stores and fuel and a clean.





So with victualling completed we are one more in fog off to the north passing Craster and, a bit further up, the ruins of Dunstanburgh castle.  Needless to say the fog soon burnt off.


Another very short day of 20 miles brings us to the Inner Farne Island with its lighthouse standing proud.  It is not a light you would want to paint red, one feels it would turn pink very soon judging by the colour of the cliffs. 



Here is the Tudor tower that was once used as a lighthouse.
 

The building to the left of the tower is the Chapel of St Cuthbert, which has, and I'm about to find out, some rather nice stained glass.


The Kettle anchorage is just perfect.  When the tide is low it is almost like a Pacific lagoon with just one entrance.  Reefs and islands surround it on all sides very nearly.  High water sees the reefs submerge but they still will break a wave for you. 


One of those sunsets before the fog.


The Southern entrance is only possible with some tide.  At low water it is almost a causeway.


It is nearly time for me to make the trip in the dinghy to the landing and have a look see.  The warden suggested I wait until the trip boats finished, I had forgotten it was the weekend.  Silly me.




3 comments:

  1. ??????? Hope you are okay x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures, the sunset is stunning x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really must get into the habit of looking at the blog and checking for replies, is there an email prompt when you get a comment perhaps?

    You occasionally get what I call a "ten year sail" when everything is just right, just for a few hours.

    ReplyDelete